Ubuntu 20.04 and ROS noetic

I have installed ubuntu 20.04 and ROS noetic on my workstation and would like to know if it’s possible to install ROS noetic on the Robot with pi3 and if it is supported. I am new to Linux and would like to know if I have that option before uninstalling ROS noetic and reverting back to kinetic on ubuntu 16.04.

1 Like

Well it theoretically should be possible if you install the official 32 bit version of Focal intended for the Pi. Once you install Noetic you’ll also have to compile all ubiquity related packages by cloning them from git and compiling them yourself since there are no premade packages yet. You’ll likely also need to compile WiringPi and PiGpio for the sonars/mcb serial.

You should be able to use the rest of the general ros packages in the ecosystem, at least the ones that already happen to be already updated anyway.

In short: Yes but it’s gonna be a lot of hassle.

The reason why we haven’t made an official ubiquity image yet is because we’re trying to switch over to 64 bit as ROS 2 requires it (so we can make a bridged Noetic-Foxy build for the gradual conversion) but there are still issues with the gpu drivers that possibly only broadcom can solve completely.

I thought there were also mml issues that prevented raspicam operation as well still.